The following are significant events that took place today in history:
- September 2, 1952 – The British ended the use of the Julian calendar switching instead to the geogian calendar.
- It resulted to a major adjustment as Wednesday, September 2 was followed by Thursday, September 14.
The correction resulted in rioting by people who felt cheated and demanded the eleven days back.
- September 2, 1864 – During the American Civil War, Atlanta was captured by Sherman’s army.
“Atlanta is ours and Fairly won”, General William T. Sherman telegraphed president Lincoln.
The People History also identifies the following significant events :
- 2013, Swimmer goes from Cuba to US.
Sixty four years Old Swimmer Diana Nyad became the first person to swim from Cuba to the United States Without a Shark Cage.
Nyad had made four other attempts at the 110 Mike Swim but had failed.
- On 2nd September 1959: The first Film to be installed in America starts dispensing cash at Chemical Bank in New York City.